Church of St. Nicholas
About 10 minutes’ walk from our 3* hotel Kampagarden by Charles Bridge stands the most famous Baroque church in Prague – the Church of St. Nicholas. Today’s church is one of the most valuable Baroque monuments and stands on the site of the former Gothic parish church dating back to the 13th century. It was built between 1704 and 1755 and its decorations are regarded as one of the most beautiful presentations of Baroque Prague. Artificial marble on the columns and cornices, frescoes on the 70-metre dome by František Xaver Palko and Johann Lukáš Kracker, the main organ built from 4,000 parts and standing up to 6 m high, right through to the façade with a life-size statue of St. Nicholas which is a clear example of the Roman Baroque. A regular holy mass (church service) is held here every Sunday at 8.30 p.m. Several hundred concerts are also held in the church every year, these being dominated by the series of six main concerts entitled “Concerts at St. Nicholas – Ave Maria and more”. Information about the opening hours and entrance fees can be found on the official website www.stnicholas.cz.